This is the first module of the Ontario Extend series of learning events. This one provided me with many opportunities to share my experiences as a teacher, building on many years of work as an educator. This is a summary of these activities with an eye to ensure completion of all the learning experiences found in this module.
- Reflected on all seven principles of How Learning Works
- Identified a concept that is often misunderstood in my discipline and created an analogy to help make sense of it (Prior knowledge)
- Created a concept map of a syllabus for a course I teach (Organization)
- Practiced my note taking skills (Organization)
- Brainstormed a list of “What’s in it for me?” from a student perspective (Motivation)
- Identified a concept in my discipline that is like driving a car and specified the component skills that are required to master this concept of skill (Mastery)
- Created an introductory activity, connected to my discipline, to get to know my learners (Climate)
- Found a nugget and made it as meaningful as possible (Metacognition)
- Articulated a metaphor to describe my teaching philosophy (Culminating Activity)
Here is the summary of the submissions as evidence of learning.